Monday, February 15, 2010

Kirk's Birthday Cake

Earlier today I posted a blog with a promise of posting my favorite yellow cake recipe as well, so I thought I better follow through even though I just started this blog and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that even knows that it exists right now. But I promised... in writing... so regardless of readership, I figured I ought to follow through.

My husband is a big fan of yellow butter cake. He would probably have no problem if I just used the Duncan Hines boxed cake mix when I bake for him (Which, let's all admit, is pretty darn good!), but that just seems like cheating so this is the recipe I've come to use (It might just be the love that goes into it, but I promise this is better than the box). When I need a cake for my hubs, this is the cake.


The method for making with one is a bit backwards from many cakes, but it yields a moister cake.

Yellow Butter Cake
  • 6 large egg yolks
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 3 cups sifted cake flour
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar (You cake use evaporated cane sugar, but it will be less sweet)
  • 1 tbs + 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature and cut into pieces
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
  2. Spray two 9-inch x 1 1/2 inch cake pans with non stick spray.
  3. In a medium bowl lightly combine the egg yolks, 1/4 cup milk, and vanilla extract.
  4. In the bowl of your electric mixer combine the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder and salt) and mix on low speed for about 30 seconds.
  5. Add the butter and remaining 3/4 cup milk. Mix on low speed just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
  6. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat for about 2 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
  7. Gradually add the egg mixture, in 3 additions, beating about 30 seconds after each addition to incorporate the egg.
  8. Divide the batter, pour into the prepared pans, and smooth the surface with a spatula. Pans will be about half full. Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed lightly in center.
  9. Place the cakes on a wire rack to cool, in their pans, for about 10 minutes. Then invert the cakes onto a greased rack. Reinvert cakes so that tops are right side up. Cool completely before frosting.

For good measure, here's a quick recipe for Chocolate Buttercream that pairs well with this cake:


Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

  • 1/4 cup + 2 tbs Dutch process cocoa powder
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
  • 6-8 cups of powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  1. Add the butter, cocoa, milk, vanilla, and 3 cups of the sugar in a mixing bowl.
  2. Beat on medium speed until smooth, about 3-5 minutes.
  3. Slowly add the rest of the sugar one cup at a time, beating until smooth after each addition. You may not need all of the sugar- stop when you reach a good spreading consistency.

Life doesn't get much sweeter!

Love from my kitchen,

Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment